Sunday, December 18, 2011

Goose Day!

It is an unseasonably warm day here in Pierre for being mid-December.  Still, sunny, and in the mid-50's.  The huge population of Canadian geese has taken advantage of that and is spending the day at the river.  Usually they are up on the  Capital Lake by the state capitol building enjoying their circulated, heated water.  But it was warm enough to take flight today.

As the sun begins to set, large flocks of them burst suddenly from the grass to take flight against a western twilight sky.  It is beautiful!  If I thought my camera would be able to capture that, I'd sit in wait for the next flock.  But it's a bit too dark already to see their silhouettes against the fading azure and orange sky.  But I did get out this morning and took a few pictures of them ambling through the neighborhood and flying away as I ran toward them.  My grandmother once told me that geese will bite.  That must be the flocks of domesticated white geese on farms.  These giant Canadians would have Paula Deen in fits.  Instead of Turducken, she'd have to figure out Duturken. Those geese would never fit into any turkey I've ever seen at the market. And as I talk about roasting them, the geese have begun honking in protest.  "Cook me?  Why don't you come out here now and think that, girlie!"

Anyway, here are a couple of shots (ah ha ha I crack me up) of the geese earlier today.


Across the street at the Farm Credit building.

Lift off!

Flying away on the wings of a goose!

Ok, time to go dunk the mint Oreos in the melted white peppermint chocolate now.  And the dip the butterfinger bars into some melted chocolate.  It's a merry almond bark Christmas! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment