Sunday, November 27, 2011

Finally . . . the flood.

The other event of great import this past summer  was, of course, the flooding of the Missouri River.  I am still quite convinced that this is what started my crash course of liver issues over the summer.  I was stressed beyond belief, both at home and at work.  I was out of my home, not eating well, not drinking enough liquids, and basically just neglecting my health.  I have taken pictures of most of the flood issues, although not many of the high water marks since that was when I was gone for my transplant evaluation. So, finally, here they are:

The stilling basin near the Oahe Dam.  Normally a nice, smooth flow, this picture was taken on May 22, 2011. At that time, we were only at about 60,000 CFS (cubic feet per second) in flow.  The previous record for release was 53,900 CFS in 1997.  By mid-June, the releases had risen to over 110,000 CFS, reaching a maximum of 160,000 CFS at the peak of the summer's flooding.  To put that in perspective, Niagra Falls runs at about 100,000 CFS.  So at the height of flooding, Both the Oahe and Gavin's Point (near Yankton) were much more powerful than the Niagra Falls.  And where was our national news coverage?  ZIP!

It looks so peaceful.  Not like a flooding, angry river.  I guess you could call it "the widening calm" at this point (May 25, 2011).  This is the Missouri River just across the street from my home.  My beautiful view.  Before the construction of the levee, the ripping up of my street, the sound of pumps running around the clock to prevent backup or flooding.  As the lyrics to one of my mom's favorite songs go, "Away, I'm bound away, 'cross the wide Missouri."


Four days later, on May 29, 2011.  How many dump trucks does it take to build a levee?  The lights of the trucks are mixing with the lights in Ft. Pierre and on buildings, but my beautiful view is being blocked by the construction of a levee.  Special traffic rules were put into place giving any construction equipment the right of way, and many intersections and corners were controlled by law enforcement.  At this time, there were eleven regular and side dump trucks lined up to drop their loads for the smaller equipment to form the levee. The work went on around the clock.  Wake up at 3 AM, you'd hear the construction equipment, the reverse indicators, and the constant drone of passing police and military vehicles patrolling the area to keep the "lookey-lou's" away.  They still found their way in--one of them even taking a picture of me climbing into the building since I had intended to be a hold out and stay.  I had my flood zone resident card, so I was good.


The completed levee.  No Trespassing.  Anyone climbing on a levee was subject to a fine and arrest.  Even the sandbag barricades throughout town carried the same warning.  Every law enforcement agency you can think of was here enforcing those bans (Border Patrol in South Dakota--huh?). National Guard Humvees roamed the city as well.


June 1, 2011 The pumps on the side on my building, nearly blocking all access.  They ran 24 hours a day for months.  

Evacuation day.  June 2, 2011, I packed up in two and a half hours to get out.  My supervisor stored my belongings at her property outside of town.  All that was left was a clock.  My things would not come back until mid August when I was finally able to return to work, although only for about three and a half weeks before another episode sent me to Sioux Falls by ambulance.


The corner of Pierre Street and Dakota Avenue.  The entire area was inaccessible due to sandbag barricades, so you had to go to the corners or mid-block and climb the little bridges.  All had cute signs like "Water Taxi," "No Skinny Dipping," and "Shark-Free Zone."

Pierre Street, looking north from Dakota to Sioux.  "Welcome, Shoppers!"  Everyone stayed open for business.


Cousin Mike, recently deployed to Afghanistan, was unable to help with the construction of protective measures around his home.  The National Guard stepped in and took care of it.  His wife and daughters were left to deal with the backup in the lower level, and eventually getting rid of all the sandbags.  Lori and the girls (ages 13 and 14) hauled away every one of those sandbags!  Mike is due home for leave near Christmas. 


On June 15, 2011, I was greeted with a sink hole out in front of my home.  The ground water had caused settling, which in turn caused the street to collapse.  This was just the first of several sink holes that would be discovered in the coming weeks.


Also on June 15, 2011, I returned to the hospital for the second time in a week.  To raise money for flood relief, these shirts were sold in stores downtown.  Unfortunately, no one proofread, so apparently a corporation sandbagged us, rather than the Army Corps of Engineers.  It made me laugh as I laid in the hospital bed, unsure of what day it was, how to use my cell phone, and unable to attend my family reunion.  A week later, I was released to my parents to go to Sioux Falls for the transplant evaluation.  Who knows--if I had gone through with the evaluation last summer like I was supposed to, maybe I would have gotten a new liver this summer.


The Ruler of the House at my parents.  This is Shiloh.  He was not happy I was there so long, as it took attention away from him.  The furry bone up on the pillow behind him?  He took it everywhere with him, so I couldn't have it.  He's such a scary beast that they have signs on the doors warning visitors not to open the door due to the dog.  Expecting a Rottweiler or Pit Bull, they don't.  Instead they get a fluffy white egomaniac!


Upon returning to Pierre on August 10, I discovered that the sink hole had grown wider and deeper.  Within a couple days, the first of three sewer lines would break.  No water for us.  We spent one weekend with water supplied from a fire hydrant by a garden hose.  For eight apartments!  Oh, yeah, that was a nice shower.  No water pressure at all.


August 10, 2011 A summer off cool, rainy days, and city crews occupied on more pressing matters leads to what has to be the most derelict looking slum of a levee anywhere.  Within a few days, equipment would arrive to start removing the levee.  That disturbed all the grasshoppers, which fled to the sides of buildings with brick and stucco textures.  First National Bank was covered--even the pneumatic tubes at the drive-up were covered.  The back of my office building was covered, so they sprayed it for days.  The parking lot had to be swept to remove the grasshopper graveyard.  It also made all the spiders move.  I got a spider bite, and had several large spiders in my apartment.  I caught all but George.  Dr. A. made me have my apartment sprayed while I was in the hospital in September to help assure I got no further spider bites.


The Corps estimated that the maximum flood elevation would be 1,434 feet, with a possible rise to 1,436.  Apparently my apartment is at 1,437 feet 7 inches above sea level.  So now ya know!


Ok, it has absolutely nothing to do with the flood, but I had to include it.  This is the baumtorte I made for my cousin Jory's confirmation dessert.  Fifteen layers of alternating white and chocolate cake, topped with a sour cream custard, chocolate sour cream frosting, and some beautiful late season strawberries.  I love to cook and bake, so this was fun.  I made jumbo cupcakes for work with the leftover batter, frosting, and berries.


November 1, 2011 Working on the sink hole--now a giant pit.  I hope they get that closed up before it snows!


November 15, 2011  Sink hole?  Now it's a complete excavation of the street to repair three broken sewer lines.  The new manhole cover is on it's way, and I'm told by the city it will be closed up within a week.  They hope.  As of today, it's still open, a huge pile of dirt in front of my building, the holiday Parade of Lights rerouted, and the pump still running. I swear, if that equipment is still here at Christmas, I'm stringing it with lights!  Just have to do it when the neighbor that is a cop is gone . . .

So there are the highlights and lowlights.  If I get ambitious, I may put up a few more pictures of it later.  But now, it's nap time!




0 comments:

Post a Comment