Saturday, November 5, 2011

Good Week, Good Food, Good Fun

This has been a busy week!  Last weekend I made an amazing cake for my cousin's confirmation.  No one can ever figure out how it's made, and won't believe me when I say it's actually easy.  The leftover batter became jumbo two-tone cupcakes for work.  I cooked a dozen and a half eggs and made deviled eggs for treat day on Monday.  What could be more fitting for Halloween?

Monday afternoon I had a tele-med appointment with Dr E.  No swelling, no abdominal tenderness, and I assume my numbers must have been good since he agreed to a three-month run until my next appointment.  A couple days later, his office called to give me the next appointment time  Four months!  I'm thrilled.  And doing absolutely everything I need to do to stay healthy.  Good color, clear eyes, sharp mind.  Tonight I remembered something from about 1977 or 1978.  Amazing!  A couple months ago I couldn't figure out how to work my cell phone!

I've made some soap.  Yes, real soap only with none of the nasty detergents that commercial soaps have.  They dry my skin so terribly, as do the shower gels.  So I have goats' milk and shea butter soap.  I thought the fragrance I got smelled kind of like warm snow, and used the silver coloring to make some of it silver.  Sprinkled the silver into the white so it looks like falling snow.  It's amazing what you can teach yourself to do just by watching YouTube!

I've also made more soup and a loaf of bread.  Yum.  I love to cook.  My cousin is deployed in Afghanistan right now, so I invited his wife and kids to come over for Thanksgiving.  Now I have an excuse to cook up the big meal.  I've already arranged for guest lodging for the turkey in a friend's freezer until Thanksgiving, since my freezer is full of my meals (both those prepared and the makings of more meals).

The holidy baking list has been written; the grocery shopping begins soon.  I'll start with the cookies that freeze well, then just before Christmas, I think I'm going to make baklava again.  But the lefse will be first, so we can have that for Thanksgiving.  Yum!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment