Friday, November 11, 2011

Soup Heaven

Although today was Veteran's Day, our office was open so we can take off the Friday after Thanksgiving. When I ask my staff to work those minor holidays, I usually provide some kind of lunch.  No more Subway--you have NO idea how much sodium is in those sandwiches!  Last month for Native American Day (in South Dakota, Columbus Day everywhere else), we had scalloped potatoes and ham that were delicious.  I know the ham has a lot of sodium, so I did try to eat mostly the potatoes.  But for today with the cold weather here (how was I supposed to know it would hit 60 on one of the last glorious days of fall), I decided weeks ago to make soup. Originally it was going to be chili.  But Tina and Ryan informed me that chili isn't soup.  Chili is chili.  So think.

While wandering through the grocery store, I started seeing things on sale.  Hmm, that could be could with that.  And a little of that.  Boxes of stock, can of tomatoes, and piles of veggies later, we had an idea.  How about vegetable soup with chicken rather than beef, maybe with a "Tuscan" flair.  So last night, I got started.  It's a rather LARGE batch, so feel free to cut it down, or email me to ask me to do that for you.

GROUP SOUP
8 chicken breasts, thawed
Italian seasoning
5 large carrots, peeled
4 stalks celery
1 yellow onion
4 small or 1 large leek
4 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup hot water
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
2 regular cans petite diced tomates with juice
1 - 12 ounce can tomato juice
2 regular cans cannellini beans (white kidney), rinsed
3 quarts chicken stock
1 quart vegetable stock
1 cup beef stock
1 cup pearl barley
3 cups cooked ditalini or other small pasta
1 bay leaf
1 Tablespoon dried basil
1 Tablespoon dried cilantro
Ground black pepper to taste

Sprinkle Italian seasoning on chicken breasts and bake at 350 degrees until done.  Cool and chop into small pieces.

Cut carrots, celery and leeks into thin slices; dice onion.  Saute in butter, garlic and 1/4 cup water until tender.

In a very large stock pot (I used an electric roaster), combine stocks, tomato juice and seasonings.  Add tomatoes, canellini, and chicken.  Bring up to a simmer.  Add barley.  Simmer about two more hours.  Add cooked pasta about 1 hour before serving.  All together, about 4 hours to cook.

Top bowls of soup with your favorite crackers, shredded cheese, sliced green onions, or whatever you like.  (TIP:  Whenever cooking in a crockpot or electric roaster, use the liner bags found by the aluminum foil to make cleaning up a breeze.  It takes less than 5 minutes!)  Serves about 16.

It was a pretty good day today, have to work tomorrow, then off to the holiday craft fair with some cousins on Sunday.  And my wish for Christmas?  Continued good health and an end to the street work in front of my house!  From the levee construction for my birthday at the end of May, until now, it has been constant.  My beautiful river view is currently a 10 foot pile of dirt and asphalt chunks.  If the equipment is still parked here at Christmas, I'm stringing lights on it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment