Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving Wrap

Well, Thanksgiving is over after MUCH cooking.  I wish I could have just pigged out, but I don't seem to be able to anymore.  I did have a little of everything, including lefse, but I just get full so much faster than I used to.  I guess that isn't a bad thing, but please, just one day!  I did enjoy a little salt, since potatoes and gravy just seem to require a bit.  I didn't put any in the soup I made today from the leftovers.

I did enjoy the broccoli-cheese casserole I made.  And had to freeze a pan of it since it made way more than the four of us could eat.  I'd never had it until I went to South Carolina at Easter to visit my friends Michael 1 and Michael 2.  M2 requested that I make it, since it was something his mother made for holiday.  So I gave it a shot based on some recipes I found online.  I tweaked it a bit now and I think it turned out better yesterday.  So, here it is:

Broccoli Cheese Casserole
2 one pound packages frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
1 can cheddar broccoli soup (Campbell's)
1/3 cup milk or half and half
1 1/2 cups crushed Club crackers
1 cup fancy shredded cheddar cheese

Put everything in a bowl and stir to combine.  Pour into a greased casserole (a big one, about 9"x13").  Sprinkle top with another cup of crushed club crackers.  Pour 1/4 cup melted butter over the top.  Sprinkle with another cup of the shredded cheddar.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.  Let cool about 5 minutes before serving.

I filled my casserole dish (not a very big one), and had enough to fill an 8"x8" foil pan.  I let it cool, refrigerated it covered with foil, then tossed it in the freezer for a quick sidedish in the future.  It now lives there with all the frozen meals and soup.

Went out Friday morning to take advantage of a whole ONE Black Friday special.  No heading out at midnight or 4 AM.  I grabbed a cup of hot cocoa at Pier 347 (it was only lukewarm--for $3.73 with a shot of peppermint in it) at 7:45.  Walked across the street to Scrappin' Ladies to buy one of my Christmas presents to me.  A ten drawer rolling scrapbook paper organizer.  On sale for 25% off!  My former friend "A" was at the store.  Parked right next to me, so she knew I was there.  Yet she hid in the back of the store for the entire time I was there.  She can't handle having a friend with serious health problems, so she said we can't be friends anymore.  And she hid.  Talk about juvenile.  Grow up!  I think she has more problems than I ever realized.  Who needs her?  I have plenty of friends who are more fun, and are very supportive of me.  And they know I appreciate them.

So today I made the soup, organized all the bags of scrapbook stuff into the cart, and now I'm relaxing listening to Christmas music.  I love listening to it. Soothing, calming, and it makes you feel good.  I was going to start my holiday baking today, but didn't get around to it with the organizing.  So I guess that means I have no excuse not to finish making Christmas cards now.  Dang, I knew there'd be a catch!  Oh well.  My other present to me will be her Monday.  A heated throw so that when I sit on the couch, I can be comfy-cozy warm.  Oh, one more thing.  Junior Mints Peppermint Crunch are awesome!  (Or 'Big Brown Mints' as my nephew Taylor used to call them!)

These are the Michaels!  Bet you can't tell which is M1 and which is M2.  Come on, try real hard.

0 comments:

Post a Comment