Friday, February 1, 2013

Mixed Signals

Ok, I was told to here to Milwaukee as soon as possible because of my MELD score increase and overall decline in health.  So we did.  My parents put everything in their lives on hold to bring me, we arranged all my moving long-distance to take my belongings from Pierre to Madison.  The doctor wanted to see me weekly, and increased my medication to help get rid of fluid, and I've endured two more paracentesis taps to draw off 11 more liters of fluid.  I liked the doctor (Dr. M).  He thought it wouldn't be too long before transplant.  The other transplant surgeon said it wouldn't be long.

The doctor we saw today was totally opposite, acting like "why are you here?"  And she assured she understood how I was feeling about how long it is taking.  No, Dr. Brown, let me assure you that you do not.  You may have dozens of patients on the waiting list--but you have NOT been on the list.  Your child has not been on the list.  She said some patients get transplanted after a month of waiting in Milwaukee, while others wait here eight months.  Eight?  That is NOT happening.  We are not waiting here so far from home for eight months.  We will be going back home and if the time comes for transplant, they will be bringing me by air ambulance.  I will be in my apartment, my parents at home, and their psychotic dog back with them.

Let's get on the same page people!  How can one office be that fractured in its communications?  Make up your minds and let me know, ok?  The only good news was that I didn't need a paracentesis today.  MELD is 21.

We did a little exploring after the doctor.  Lunch at The Chancery Pub whose French onion soup isn't all that great.  Went to Target and got a heated throw for the sofa so I can be nice and comfy.  Then to Pik N' Save to buy groceries.  Yummy fruit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment