Saturday, January 26, 2013

Tree Trunk Legs and What We Did for Fun on Friday

Last week, Dr. M upped my diuretics to the full dosage to try to remove some of the fluid in my legs and abdomen.  Basically, I went to the bathroom A LOT and lost tons of fluid.  You could see my ankles, and even my toes were skinny again.  I thought I had done well.  On Thursday the surgeon's CNP squeezed my calves and I actually yelped from the pain,  And a bruise.  Yesterday, the nurse asked in I normally got swelling in my legs.  She said she could tell I did when she looked at my legs, and said I had "tree trunk legs."  I thought they looked really good.  My neck and collarbones are starting to look skeletal, and I have tree trunk legs.  Yay.  Not what I wanted to hear.  I had already felt lousy all day and only ate a few cucumber slices.  And wound up crying at the doctor's office because I felt so crappy,

Then there is the fluid in my abdomen.  I looked about 8 months pregnant, and having to lay back on the exam table was painful.  So off to paracentesis land after seeing the doctor.  This week they got 4 liters of fluid off.  But it actually took three taps to get it.  The first one stopped after a liter.  They tried going in right by it so they wouldn't have to use more lidocaine to deaden more.  Second tap was a total bust.  More lidocaine injected (ok, a poke, and now some burn).  He couldn't get into the fluid pocket.  Change needle because maybe it was dull.  Still didn't want to go in.  Finally, after wrestling and ramming the needle, they got it in.  Because the pocket lining was deep muscle.  Yep, that's me--totally ripped.  Complete 6 pack.  More like a few tubes of cookie dough with all that fluid.  I know I have a belly button, but it's under the rise of the fluid pocket.  And I get to look forward to this every Friday for the next 4 weeks.  So basically, the next four Fridays will be as much fun as yesterday was--with the exception of mom's trip to Urgent Care after my appointments.

Not quite dark yet, and still a while before rush hour.  In a city you don't know.  With snow flurries falling.  My doctor's nurse had given us the address and hours of the nearest clinic.  We even knew where that road was (turn between Michael's Crafts and the Pik n' Save grocery).  Wait a while.  See doctor.  Get prescriptions for UTI.  Go to Wal-Mart to fill said prescription.  Run down to Boston Market to get turkey and stuffing dinners for dad's birthday dinner.  Stop at Wal-Mart to pick up prescriptions.  Drive home in the dark, in full Friday night traffic, in the snow.  Happy Birthday, Dad!

The bright spot of the week--finding out that Mario Batali may be doing my transplant surgery.  We all knew he had some mean knife skills, and cooking has become old hat, so he's branching out again.  Well, not really.  But Dr. S does wear orange clogs like Mario.  So instead of "I wanna be like Mike," it is "I wanna be like Mario."  And he said he expects a big picture in the blog (not sure how he'd hear about that).  So here is Dr. S, sans orange clogs:

I tried to make it bigger, Doc, but then you get fuzzy!

Well, not much else going on.  Just waiting for Edible Arrangements to re-deliver dad's fruit bouquet from Jana.  We were at the hospital yesterday when they tried to deliver.  Watching HGTV and the Food Network.  Tomorrow is "The Good Witch" marathon--really looking forward to that . . . they are so cute.

0 comments:

Post a Comment