Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Rain, Glorious Rain!

As I've said before in the past week or two, I'm tired of the constant heat and drought-like conditions we have been experiencing this month.  I guess if forced to choose between this and last year's flooding, I'd take this heat.  But I'd like a happy medium.  So I went to bed at 10:00 last night/tonight.  10:01 to be  precise . according to my atomic self-setting alarm clock.  I work up to the strangest sound what turned out to be less than one hour later. 

Was that--no, it couldn't be!  There it was again!  Thunder.  Lightning.  And the pinging sound of rain on the window.  I got up to look, just to make sure I wasn't having a delusional dream.  No, I wasn't.  It really was storming.  I immediately scampered back to bed, pulled up the covers to get cozy, and drifted back to sleep.  There is nothing more restful to me than the sound of a thunderstorm (as long as it isn't severe enough for the emergency sirens to go off).  I slept for another couple of hours before waking up.  The storm had passed, but it had rained enough that everything was still wet.  I guess that means we get a blast of humidity with Tuesday's heat, but that's ok.  We got rain.  I now have greater expectations for my tomatoes.  I even "shook" the plants according the the Texas wives' belief that hitting your tomato plants lightly with a broom handle to get them to set fruit.  One of my staff insists she did it for years.  We'll see.

G'night for now.  More soon.  On topics other than gardens and produce!

0 comments:

Post a Comment