Saturday, July 21, 2012

Farmers' Market and Bountiful Baskets, Oh My!

Today was all about produce.  Started happily when a made a quick run to DakotaMart and found they had California grapes that were big and snappy crisp and juicy.  Then it was off to the Capital City Farmers' Market.  Springerridge was back this week, as was Farmer Ralph, so I hit pay dirt on local produce.  Here's a look around their booths:



Sorry about the off-center and less than great quality on this one, but the sun was
SO bright I couldn't see the screen on my phone to see where the sign even was. 
 Springerridge has great produce and uses no pesticides or herbicides, so my liver
doesn't have to filter out a bunch of funky stuff.


They also have lots of great baked good and canned items like jams and relishes. 
Resisted buying the fudge.


Yellow squash and some other kind, and zucchini (a/k/a "garden garbage").  Not something I eat, but it's still great to see such a variety of produce coming in.


I don't do the Swiss chard, but I'm all about the leeks!  Can't wait until my leeks and fennel come in at my boss's farm.


Baby onions and heirloom varieties of lettuce.


Beets!  I got some pickled beets from my neighbor Miss Helen.  I like Harvard beets.


Green and yellow beans.  Not a big fan of beans.  But I do like fresh green beans with some crispy bacon, drizzled with a little of the bacon grease.


Little carrots!  I bought a bunch of those, and plan to roast them with some
onions and potatoes.  I LOVE carrots.


 
Farmer Ralph's cucumbers, new potatoes, dill and chokecherries.  $3 for a "bunch" of dill.  I assumed a "bunch" was a few stems  It was a Hulk-sized armload!  I've given some of it to friends, and I plan to freeze a lot of it to make pickles when my cucumbers come in.  And to make some cucumber salad!


Chokecherries up close.  The berries are free, but you pay for picking  Gotta love Ralph!


And later this afternoon after work, I picked up my first Bountiful Basket.  You pay $15 for an assortment of fruits and vegetables.  This, too, got split between a couple of us.  We figured out what the retail cost of the basket items would be.  Here is a list of what we got:

1 head broccoli
5 small yellow squash
2 English cucumbers
1 head Butter lettuce
1 pound of carrots (real carrots, not the processed baby carrots)
4 ears red sweet corn
1 pint red raspberries
1 quart strawberries
2 pounds seedless black grapes
6 plums
1 cantaloupe

At the store, this would be $38.87.  But we paid just $15, and everything is super-fresh.  And this is the first time I've ever actually seen the red sweet corn.


After splitting the basket this is what I kept, along with my add-on loaf of sourdough
bread.  For $10, we got 5 loaves and split them between 3 of us.


The Rainier cherries we bought.  Five of us split the 18-pound lug that we added
for $25.  That's $1.40 a pound, or a 66% savings over the recent sale price at the
store.  Next time someone comes from our office in Yakima, WA, we're hoping for
more cherries.  These came right from Yakima.


The beautiful variegated kernels of the red corn.  The red color gives the corn extra
antioxidants, so it's healthier than standard yellow or yellow/white corn.
And for the easiest corn cleaning/shucking and cooking, watch this video.  It truly does work!


After giving dill to 5 people, this is what remains from my "bunch."  Get ready to can some pickles, mom!


I'm going to have to take it a little easy on the fresh produce, and not dive in the way I want so that I don't give myself a stomach ache.  I can't use up the Bountiful Basket in one week, even with splitting it, but maybe every few weeks.

I guess we got a little bit of rain overnight, but not enough to keep the soil damp for the garden, so I still had to go outside to water everything.  Now I'm cooled off, even though I never did sweat today, even running around in the 100 degree heat.  Hopefully it won't throw off my sleep tonight.  I've been doing pretty well with the exception of last night.  So, time to go take my meds and go to bed.  And dream of dill since my house smells like a vat of dill oil.

0 comments:

Post a Comment