Thursday, July 5, 2012

Down on the farm

Ok, not a REAL farm, but my apartment-sized mostly container garden farm.  I had to go to Running's yesterday to get larger tomato cages.  The crazy tomato plants from Farmer Ralph at the farmers' market have really taken off in the heat and humidity.  So have the cucumbers.  My herbs are mostly doing well, although the dill seems a bit frail, and the chives are not doing well.

The cucumber plants I rought from Farmer Ralph are about a foot long, with big, beautiful blooms on them.  The cucumber seeds I just sprinkled on the ground one day are growing, and I have a 6" one.  And this noon, I harvested my first crop of parsley and basil.  I didn't need either just now so I took it to work for one of the gals there.  I now have a waiting list!  And Shirley won't  be happy until she has her fresh cherry tomatoes.  Here are the pictures of the little tomato plant on Memorial Day weekend, and again this past Tuesday (before it got its snazzy new red cage)


Not bad for one month's growth!  And the ground wasn't actually as dry as it looks on the right.  It was still moist, but not just watered.  Those are the cucumbers growing crazy at the base.  I hope it isn't too long until we have tomatoes and cucumbers! 

And here are the parsley and basil I harvested today:


I can't wait until everything is ripe and ready to eat, freeze, or can!  Look, ma~I's a farmer!

0 comments:

Post a Comment