Sunday, June 17, 2012

Shedding tears...

...of joy!  They are, as I write this, dismantling the rides at the carnival set up across the street for Oahe Days.  I swear the girls in this town can hit notes 2 octaves higher than Mariah Carey when they screamed on the Pharoah's Fury.  I had to wait in line at the vet clinic with half the dogs in town to take care of our bleeding ears!  Also rather happy that my air conditioning is working, since it's at least in the mid 90's and super humid.  You can barely breathe out there!  I'm nice and cool, about to enjoy a lovely luau pork sandwich, some beans, and coleslaw.  I love the roasted pork--and it turns out that there is no sodium in the brand of liquid smoke I bought.  They had hickory, maple pecan, or mesquite.  I went for mesquite.  Here's the SUPER easy recipe:

Luau Pork
Boston Butt Pork Roast in the quantity you need to serve your family or guests (buy on sale and freeze)
Apple juice to come 2/3 the way up the pork
Liquid Smoke

Rub liquid smoke into thawed  meat.  Put in pan.  Pour apple juice around the meat in the roasting pan, not over it.  Cook covered at 250 degrees for 8 to 12 hours (or overnight on 'Warm' in the crock pot after bringing the meat up to hot and the juice to a boil on 'High', then turn down to 'Warm'.).  Baste meat periodically.  Let meat cool for about 2 hours so you can handle it to pull it into chunks (not shredded).  Put in a covered container with either a little of the roasting liquid, or some new apple juice and a couple drops of liquid smoke.  Toss.  Refrigerate until cool to let the meat take in the juices.  Serve hot or cold. 

I do not put any type of BBQ sauce on it before serving--let your guest do that.  I serve it on a nice firm bun with some seasoned pinto beans and slaw (try broccoli slaw!) and iced tea.  Boston Butt is a nice cheap cut of meat, and this makes the most of it, making in nice and tender.  Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment