Sunday, June 24, 2012

Chex Mix!

Ok, I admit I am addicted to Chex Mix.   And Ghardetto's.  Regular.  Italian.  But it's SO salty!  Now that I'm keeping a closer watch on my sodium and fat, I decided to try my own.  All the recipes are basically clones of the salty original, so I was on my own.  I do have to say that I wish the sodium content in the Chex cereals was lower than it is, but at least it doesn't taste like a salt lick.  The result?  Everyone liked it.  Corn, rice and wheat Chex, Goldfish pretzels, and Bugles (remember sticking your fingers in them when you were little to make witches' fingernails that you then ate off one by one?).

Gone was the melted butter.  In it's place was the olive oil and balsamic vinegar spray they sell by the Pam non-stick spray.  I thought the vinegar would give it a nice tang.  Then I sprinkled it with garlic powder, onion powder, and a kinda spicy salt-free seasoning mix I found at the dollar store.  Stir.  Repeat until you think everything has been sprayed and seasoned.  Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 250 degrees for about 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.  I haven't provided quantities, since I didn't really measure.  Just make as much as you need.  If you're making a small batch,  you may want to reduce the total cooking time.



That's about all I've been up to this week, other than working and trying to keep up with watering my tomatoes, cucumbers, and herbs.  Time to go to bed now, although I don't have to be at work until noon the next couple of days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment