Sunday, June 17, 2012

Oahe Days 2012

All is quiet now, with the bands done playing, the rides silent, no traffic, screaming girls hitting unheard of octaves as they screamed while riding the Pharoah's Fury, no drunks wandering past on their trek to transportation (hopefully with a DD or public transportation), and my headache finally almost gone.  It started Friday night with the band's bass vibration and hasn't let up.  And my luau pork is still cooking away slowly.  I can't wait to pull it into chunks for a sandwich for lunch.

I shouldn't complain too much, however.  A year ago I way in a hospital bed, not knowing what day it was, the time, or how to use my cell phone.  It was sent flying across more than one hospital room.  They gave me orange juice for breakfast with a bowl of cereal.  Big mistake!  And it was raining.  And thundering.  And lightning.  We had a little storm pass through Friday night that did quiet the carnival for a few hours, but nothing like last years torrential downpours that flooded the streets and the sandbagged areas meant to protect from the big flood.  In fact, the carnival is sitting where the levee stood last summer.  But remind me to make sure that my medical tests are done next year over the Oahe Days weekend.  I've enjoyed them much more when I'm not in town!

They did have a beautiful day for the festival yesterday.  Not too hot, not too humid, and a nice breeze to help keep it comfortable.  So I did walk through and took a few pictures to share with you! 


 How cute are these spinning dinosaurs?

I hate to say it, but these ponies look bored.  I suppose if I had to walk in a circle all day
hauling crying children around, I'd be a little cranky tool 

I don't care about cotton candy or cold drinks, but let me at that Sno-Cone action! 

Yep, just one block from my house to the stage.  Did I appreciate that convenience? 
Umm, let me think.  No!

Cute little train!  I guess it wasn't exciting enough for the little folks since it was nearly empty.

And last but certainly not least.  Directly in front of my apartment so I can hear every screaming pre-teen girl rival Mariah Carey in octave range, is the Pharoah's Fury.  Basically a big "boat" pendulum that swings ever higher, elicitng their voices to do the same!  I was quite happy when they shut the carnival down Friday night at about 10 PM due to a passing thunderstorm.  Blissful quiet.  I guess they started up a few hours later again, but I was sound asleep by then.  Which is where I need to go back to now.




0 comments:

Post a Comment