Thursday, June 28, 2012

Liver Disease Awareness

Do you have a liver disease?  Recently diagnosed and looking for more information about the American Liver Foundation or your particular disease?  There is information available on the Web to help with your search.  Check out this link for the American Liver Foundation’s (ALF) educational resources:  http://www.liverfoundation.org/education/downloads/


For example, did you know that October is Liver Disease Awareness month?  I didn’t, and I usually track that kind of thing for work.  I knew that March was Colorectal Cancer Awareness month—and I don’t have that.  What that says to me is that not nearly enough education is done of the general population.  Maybe that is why liver cancer is not   diagnosed until it is in the late stages, as are many other liver diseases and disorders.  I think everyone should check what information their driver’s license exam station has about organ donation and see how prominently it is or isn’t displayed.  Maybe we need to do a big organ donation drive in October.  Plus, the liver isn’t the only organ that can be harvested.  There is a heart, two kidneys, corneas, lungs, bone marrow, and even veins.  See how many lives can be improved or saved by just one person becoming an organ donor?  Pass out donor cards where you work.  Urge people to be tested at transplant drives for other diseases or people.

Mostly, I want to break the stereotypes associated with liver disease.  With sincere apologies to those that do suffer from hepatitis, alcohol-related cirrhosis, and conditions associated with risky behaviors, that has never been my lifestyle.  I am not an alcoholic.  I rarely ever drank, and never more than one or two drinks if I did.  I have never used “street” or illegal drugs.  I have never shared needles.  I have not indulged in unsafe or risky sexual practices.  So how did I wind up with liver disease, and a cirrhotic liver?  If you have Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH) or “fatty liver,” here is more information just for you:  http://www.liverfoundation.org/downloads/alf_download_20.pdf

My hepatologist was able to answer many of my questions, but not all of them.  That is, in part, what led me to listen to a friend whose mom is a nurse (totally qualified, right?) when she told me that transplant testing was overkill and just a waste of my money.  So I cancelled those tests two years ago.  And nearly died last year as a result of it.  I had the testing done, and am now on the waiting list.  As for that friend—we are no longer friends.  Not because I couldn’t forgive her for her stupidity and short-sightedness, mind you.  I never even thought about that.  But because she can’t handle having a friend that is not 100% healthy.  Guess what?  Anyone can get sick or be in an accident and die at any time.  Even her!  Turning her back on me was an act of selfish cowardice.  Or maybe she can’t forgive herself for what she did.  Three words:  Karma’s a bitch!

The best thing you can do to help alleviate your symptoms, stay healthy, and maybe postpone that transplant even, is to take care of the liver you have.  Here is some specific information on that;  http://www.liverfoundation.org/downloads/alf_download_29.pdf

Personally, I have found that eating well (smaller portions of complex proteins, more simple proteins, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables (US grown if possible), little or no salt, and drinking lots of water have helped me.  My MELD score has remained pretty stable over the past year and my tests at my annual checkup were pretty good.  Six whole months until I have to see the hepatologist again.  I do have my six-month appointment with my local internal medicine doc in September, so I’ll get my scores checked then, which is also about when they are due for the transplant center too.  I am not a nutritionist or dietician, and you should follow your own doctor’s specific plan of care for you.  And take all or your medications when you are supposed to—even it they taste yucky!

Bedtime now, since I’m going out to dinner with friends tomorrow night.  Should be fun!  Thanks for agreeing to babysit, Jayd.  I know Q and G appreciate it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Karin said...

The above comment was deleted due to my not having the setting that required approval before a comment appeared. It was an offer from a 32 year old male from the Ukraine offering me "part" of his liver for which he wanted a "big compensation". I don't know about the rest of the world, but in the US and Canada, it is illegal to purchase an organ or provide compensation for it.

Post a Comment