Sunday, May 20, 2012

Green Thumb, Please!

I need a green thumb.  I don't usually have the best luck growing things, so I'm hoping for better this summer.  I planted my "garden" yesterday, which consists of two raised brick planters on either side of the building's front door, and a barrel planter on my patio.  I have three tomato plants about 12" high (Roma, Biltmore, and Bush's Big Boy--all good for container gardens), and a whole lot of herbs.  Basil, cilantro, chives, dill, rosemary, tarragon, and some deep green leaf lettuce.  In the areas with no grass or rock at the sides of the planters and beside my deck, I've planted three different cucumbers (organic, Marketmore, and Picklebush) and some green onions.  I just came in from watering them.  It was clear that I obviously need to get a spray nozzle.  The plantings on the ground will be taken care of at 5 AM when the sprinklers kick in, but the planters need to be watered.  If all those tomatoes come in at once, we will be eating some interesting concoctions, or my staff will be getting lots of 'maters.  I will have to remember to ask Kenny to water them for me when I go to Sioux Falls for my annual testing in two weeks.

YAY!  I just found a recipe for salt-free dill pickes. Will definitely have to try these if the plants produce.


SALT FREE DILL PICKLES
Printed from COOKS.COM


3 (3 1/2 lbs.) small, unwaxed cucumbers
1/2 lb. white onions, 1 inch or less in diameter (optional)
6 to 9 stalks fresh dill, preferably with seed heads
9 garlic cloves, peeled
1 qt. cider vinegar
3 c. water
1 tbsp. sugar
3 tsp. mixed pickling spice
 

Scrub cucumbers with vegetable brush. Remove blossoms, if any, and trim stems even with ends of cucumbers. Rinse dill under running water and shake off excess water. Place vinegar, water and sugar in a saucepan of at least 2 1/2 quarts capacity, and bring to boil. While brine is heating, pack jars with layers of dill, garlic, onions and cucumbers. Rinse dill under running water and shake excess water. Place vinegar, water and sugar in a saucepan of at least 2 1/2 quart capacity, and bring to boil.
 
While brine is heating, pack jars with layers of dill, garlic, onions and cucumbers, beginning and ending with dill and garlic, onions and cucumbers, beginning and ending with dill and garlic. If pearl onions are not available, use the smallest white onions you can find. Just peel away the outer layers and refrigerate, tightly covered for other uses.
Add one teaspoon of mixed pickling spice to each jar. Pour boiling hot brine into jars, filling within 1/2 inch of top, and seal. Makes about three quarts. When jars are completely cool, wash and dry. Refrigerate at least a week before serving. They keep for a month or more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment