Sunday, March 3, 2013

How many ways can you spell 'OUCH"?

So, what have I been doing lately?  I'd like to say having fun, but as you can see, that would be an inaccurate statement.  Let's take a look, shall we?

Me hooked up to the IV, telemetry, and Mahurkar line to remove
the excess fluid from my blood.  Doing the SCUF before the CVVH.

The most uncomfortable I have been to date.  The only thing missing is oxygen, but fear not--that would come later.  At this point,  I was in critical care ICU.  I was moved down to a high acuity ICU bed when they stopped the SCUF procedure. They left the line in just in case they decided to do the CVVH (continual venovenous hemofiltration). That is a 12 to 24 hour process. It removes the blood from the vein, filters it, then returns it to the vein.  The SCUF procedure does not gain me the dialysis points on my MELD score that the CVVH would, although it isn't true dialysis since it only filters and doesn't use any product to cleanse the blood.  So I am currently listed at 24, which gives me my best chance yes at getting a new liver,  just need to find a Type B now,  When they removed the Mahurkar, I moved to a regular room.

Mahurkar catheter attached to large vein in neck.  And yes, it does pinch!

The weight of the Mahurkar in the neck is enough to keep my head tilted to the right, And make it difficult to move, and make it impossible to turn my head.  They promised the removal wouldn't hurt.. Big fat lie. It is still sore more than twelve hours later.

 Best meal I've had so far. Pineapple, cantaloupe, and strawberries.

Not sure if I get to go home in the next day or two,  Depends on tests as usual.  I will try to keep you updated or my parents will update my Facebook. Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers,


0 comments:

Post a Comment