Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Colors of Healthy

Have you ever found yourself in the produce aisle of the supermarket, just fascinated by all the beautiful colors, shapes, and smells of fresh produce?  The overhead mister keeping everything fresh and crisp with it's fine droplets of water, which drip then off the leaves of kale or lettuce or the fronds of fresh fennel.  When everything is freshly stocked and looks like nature's rainbow of food.  Ok, not so much at Wal-Mart where it's picked over and you've never heard of some of the countries from which they purchased.  But at your local grocery store--where you're more likely to get USA-grown or local produce.  Or being the first in line to buy at the farmers' market.

I did the farmers'market this morning.  I missed last week due to the break in of my car.  But I was there today for "free large zucchini day.'  And, I may even try it, armed with inspiration from my brother's zucchini boat concept.  I figure if my ultra picky nephews eat it, there must be some merit.  But I will not bake today, as it is supposed to be 110 degrees.  Instead, I will get organized, rotate my canned good that I've started stocking up on for fall and winter cooking.  I'm a FIFO kind of gal (first in, first out) for stock rotation.  Weird, I know.  But I have to have my canned goods organized.  I attack my mom's every time I'm there since she has soup in the same row as fruit.  Horrors!

So I arranged some of the produce on Farmer Ralph's table to make a pretty picture of just how yummy produce is.  You can't see the onions, potatoes, okra, and all the squashes--but you can see a couple.  And his watermelons were on the ground.  The world's heaviest, juiciest watermelons!

 

I think those are some of the most beautiful eggplants I've ever seen.  Don't you feel healthier just looking at it?  Or at least like you should go eat some fruits and veggies?  I've got cantaloupe, pineapple (yeah, thanks Curtis for renewing my pineapple fetish), and super crisp red grapes in the refrigerator.  Later today I'll pick up a 24 pound box of Utah-grown freestone peaches we chipped in on at work.  We LOVE Bountiful Baskets!  www.bountifulbaskets.org brings a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables to communities through the power of buying cooperatives.  Everything so far has been yummy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment