Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Middle aged? (a/k/a "How to make your social worker sweat")

This evening was supposed to be the regular monthly meeting of the Avera McKennan liver support group.  I forgot until about 3:30 when I called the social worker to make sure it was tonight, and to remind her to call me if people did come to hold the group.  Unfortunately, no one made it to the meeting, so B called to let me know there was no meeting.  She did have an idea that she would like to run past her manager, though, about possibly getting a post-transplant patient and I together so we could talk (since I'm a pre-me).  B explained that the gal was "middle aged, the same as you."  Sharply inhaled breath.  Middle aged, I asked?  I think I could actually see the sweat pouring down B's forehead just then.  She started apoligizing and back-peddling, and then I laughed.  It was pretty funny.  I am 46, but I do not consider myself to be, or even near, middle aged.  My staff can ask me about a song they heard and what is it.  I can tell them it's by Gotye (that's goat-ee-ay, not got-yee).  I can sing along with 'Rolling in the Deep' although they prefer that I don't sing at work.  After all, they say I know every song ever written, and I can sing it -- badly! 

So middle aged was kind of a shock.  Well, B, I'm going to drag that gem out every time I need to make a point or just to bust your chops a bit.  I'm still laughing.  After all, it is the best medicine!

The best dip, however, goes to the dip I made for work yesterday.  Not so much as a scraping of the bowl left!  So, here it is:

Garlic Dill Ranch Dip
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 cup sour cream
1 envelope Hidden Valley Ranch buttermilk ranch dressing mix
2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper

Mix all together until smooth.  Refrigerate at least overnight before serving with crackers or herb rusks.  If you want to make it lighter, just use the reduced fat versions of the cream cheese and sour cream.  I'm trying to come up with a salt-free version of ranch dressing mix, but so far no success.

0 comments:

Post a Comment