Sunday, April 22, 2012

Hey, Hey, Hey, It's a Beautiful Day

What a beautiful day!  Sunny, warm, a light breeze, and birds singing in the trees.  I went out for a bit this morning just to get out, and was completely bummed again that the local Super Waldo’s did not have any of the sugar-free black cherry Winky Gel Bites.  Yes, I buy finger jello in a bag, but in my defense, you can’t find sugar-free black cherry to make at home.  I love that flavor.

Then I came home and made some kitchen sink pasta salad for my lunches this week.  It got pasta, protein, and lots of crunchy veggies and even some fruit.  Toss it in a little Dorothy Lynch dressing, and you’ve got loads of yummy.  I’m feeling really great now that I’m over my ear/sinus infection.  I’ve even managed to get a couple of nights of decent sleep in during the last week or so.  I do plan to call Dr. E’s office tomorrow.  I know he’s said I’m good skipping my Lactulose for a day if everything is going well, but I’ve been off it for three days now because everything was still going the way it should without the help.  Just want to make sure there won’t be any other issues.

Another of my favorite foods is meatloaf. So I made some last week, and decided to share the recipe with you. This recipe is totally legal with my diet—NO salt at all.   


Best-Ever Meatloaf

2 pounds ground turkey
 2 eggs
1/2 cup white rice                                                   
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs (no-salt)
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper                     
1/4 cup meatloaf sauce (below)

Mix all ingredients thoroughly and shape into a loaf in a pan.  Baste with 1/2 cup of the meatloaf sauce.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.  Baste with remaining meatloaf sauce; cook for an additional 15 minutes.  Remove from oven.  Let cool for 5 minutes then slice.  Excellent with roasted potatoes, carrots, leeks, onions, celery, and sweet potatoes tossed with a bit of olive oil and cracked black pepper.  Lots of flavor in this!

Meatloaf Sauce:
1 cup Heinz no-salt added ketchup                    
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar                                   
1/4 teaspoon crushed garlic

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment